Thursday, April 10, 2008

Cold or Flu?

I set out to solve the dilemma once and for all. Is it a cold or the flu? After hours of Googling I'm as confused as ever. Only with a lot more words and images jammed in my head to argue both sides of the debate.

I'm too tired and bored now to regurgitate it all but I thought I would share a few pretty images of viruses and the sites which create and present them as they are both valuable resources and and fascinating to explore beyond the cold and flu virus images.

The first site is 3DScience.com which has a lot of images and animations in 3D of a variety of human anatomy and biology subjects. It was there I found images of the influenza virus.



The second site is The Institute for Molecular Virology at the University of Wisconsin Madison. In their Virus World database they too have a plethora of images and animations but as the name indicates it is all about viruses. Yet I found no images of flu viruses there. Though there were images of both the adeno and rhino versions of the common cold virus.





Those last two bear a strong resemblance to Koosh balls don't they?



{Did you come looking for my Friday Snippet? Try again tomorrow. My intent when I began the research for this post was to throw up a quickie in fifteen to thirty minutes to limit the time and energy expenditure as I'm still quite low on stamina. And to allow me to return to the riveting Stephen King novel, Duma Key for a couple more hours.

I should have know myself better than that. Here I am SIX hours later. Still no answer to the burning question of the week. And still no snippet prepared--it only took me three hour to write and post a hot-off-the-keyboard snippet last week; and around two the previous week. To top off the insults I am no further along in Duma Key which is now on the overdue clock--tick, tick, tick.}

3 tell me a story:

Ann 4/11/2008 7:58 AM  

I hate to be the one to tell you this, but according to my doctor the only way you can tell the difference is to have a q-tip stuck up your nose and the doctors test it for the flu virus (the winter I learned this I not only had the flu but another viral infection as well- the flu vaccine is now my best friend for life). Hope you feel better soon, but it is going to take a while (it will happen, though). :)

Anonymous,  4/11/2008 9:57 AM  

My very limited understanding of the difference is essentially inline with what Ann said. I've oftened wondered which is which too. I've heard a simple explanation which naturally escapes me at the moment... LOL

By the way, I just noticed that you live in Phoenix! I spent the bulk of my early childhood living all over the Rogue Valley - Central Point, Medford, Jacksonville.

Extended family lived in Medford, Talent, Shady Cove, etc.

For some reason we all moved away over the succeeding years. But I retain fond memories of that valley.

Jamie 4/11/2008 8:26 PM  

Sorry to hear that you are so sick. I agree with the other two posters, the only way to tell is through a test. Take care and I hope you feel better soon.

Blog Directories

Saysher.com

Sitemeter

Feed Buttons

Powered By Blogger

About This Blog

Web Wonders

Once Upon a Time

alt

alt

alt

alt

70 Days of Sweat

Yes, master.

Epic Kindle Giveaway Jan 11-13 2012

I Melted the Internet

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP